Future of Public Relations: Price Ent Group

Future of Public Relations: Price Ent Group

About Me

My photo
I am a grad student at Full Sail University. I strive to do well in everything that I do. I love reading, writing and challenging things. I embrace change!! Change is a key part of life... I am aspiring to work in Public Relations/Marketing within the Entertainment industry. My goal is to become very marketable and gain experience in all areas within the Entertainment industry. I love meeting new people and building relationships! I am a very outgoing woman of God who will always see the good in any situation! This is me...<3

5W Public Relations! 5 TIPS!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Instead of taking the route of discussing current events within Public Relations, I chose to take the time to interview a close connect that works at one the largest entertainment networks on television today. Interviewing Terrece Walker, was a very easy-going, enthusiastic interview that provided great insight and tips for potential PR publicist or consultants. 

Below are 14 questions that answer a wide array of questions students may have about Public Relations.

1. Can you please describe your job within Public Relations?

I am a Jr. Publicist at MTV, mtvU and Pro-Social. My job is to promote programming and public affairs initiatives to our diverse audience by working with reporters at diverse outlets on stories that effectively and (hopefully) positively reflect the message the network wants to send.

2. How long have you worked in Public Relations?


Since 2006

3. What company do you work for?

MTV Networks

4. What are some tips you have for future PR candidates?

Take as many writing classes as you can because a lot of what PR professionals do, involve writing.

5. How should students prepare for the PR industry?

I would suggest students to Intern in as many different industries as possible to get the best-rounded experience.

6. What the pros/cons of working in PR

Pros: Working with diverse people, getting to work on exciting projects and working/attending events.

Cons: Working with challenging personalities and it can get redundant.

7. How would you describe your daily tasks?

My daily tasks involve a lot of email and phone pitches to reporters at different outlets. I also maintain close contact with internal executives and external partners about the PR strategy to ensure we’re on the same page and being the most effective. Additionally, even though it’s not a daily task, I also write press strategies, press releases, programming notes and media alerts, create media lists and cover phone or in-person interviews and photo shoots.

8. What is your background in?

I have a B.A. in Organizational Communication and a M.S. in Human Resource Management.

9. Is education or experience more important in PR?

Yes, education is always important. An undergraduate degree is typically required for most positions, but graduate degrees are far less common and rarely required.

10. Any suggestions for future candidates?

Write, write and write some more! It is critical to your success as a PR professional because it’s how we pitch reporters and how we communicate with our audience/consumers.

11. Can you explain your best experience with your company?

My best experience was occurred during the first show I lead on my own. I pitched and landed the cover of The New York Times Art section and had a feature in USA Today. As if that wasn’t exciting enough, the CEO of MTV Networks called my boss to tell her how amazing both articles were.

12. Your worst experience?

I was working on a Saturday show and had a big celebrity featured on one episode. After confirming she was willing to do press, I secured several interviews (US Weekly, OK!, In Touch, E!, to name a few) and in the end, she pulled out of all of them and said all she would do was tweet a tune-in reminder and also post it on her blog. So depressing!!

13. What is the most important skill one should have before working in PR?

Being a confident writer is critical, as well as being able to work with difficult personalities. PR professional’s work with so many different people on a daily basis, that’s it’s crucial to be patient and professional, even when it’s challenging.

14. Any last minute comments?

I always tell my interns to do their research about what PR is and the many types of PR there are. You can work in television, public affairs, digital/social media, corporate, financial, etc. and each experience is very different. PR

0 comments:

Post a Comment

5W PR Agency CEO

5W PR Agency CEO

Striving to be a leader, this is very important to hear.

How to be Successful

PR Techniques