Future of Public Relations: Price Ent Group

Future of Public Relations: Price Ent Group

About Me

My photo
I am a grad student at Full Sail University. I strive to do well in everything that I do. I love reading, writing and challenging things. I embrace change!! Change is a key part of life... I am aspiring to work in Public Relations/Marketing within the Entertainment industry. My goal is to become very marketable and gain experience in all areas within the Entertainment industry. I love meeting new people and building relationships! I am a very outgoing woman of God who will always see the good in any situation! This is me...<3

5W Public Relations! 5 TIPS!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

ARE THEY REALLY WINNING?

As previously discussed in my prior blog post, artists in my personal opinion cannot thrive within the entertainment industry without a successful and knowledgeable publicist. It is inevitable to not reach your full potential within the entertainment market if you are not represented properly.  With that being said, what in the world is going on with Chris Brown and Charlie Sheen publicist? SERIOUSLY!?

As I sit and read about the various outbursts of both artists it is disturbing to know that this is accepted within the media market. Don’t get me wrong; I do believe the media is bias in accepting the actions of Charlie Sheen who is an alcoholic and abusive drug user who is now known for “WINNING”, compared to the actions of singer/actor Chris Brown. But the sad truth is Sheen is not winning, he is losing. The following artists are known for having a rough patch in the road but without a doubt are able to overcome their adversities and triumph.

Unless you are living under a rock, I am sure you are fully aware of the media stunts that actor Charlie Sheen has done within the past month and the outburst and photo leakage of singer/actor Chris Brown. The following artists have been media puppets and are being taken down a path in my personal opinion that causes rebellion and heartache.

So now let’s discuss ways to handle the following situations. My first question is:

1.     How do you handle this as a publicist?
2.     Do you utilize all the publicity and use it to your advantage or
3.     Do you step in and make a change?

Let’s start by painting a picture.

 Nonetheless, let’s talk briefly about the infamous “Winning interview” held at NBC with Charlie Sheen. As we all know, this is a man struggling with drugs and alcohol addiction. Instead of suggesting rehab or seeking help, Sheen is now receiving a stand- up comedy show (O_O PAUSE) Did I miss something? No, I didn’t. The fact that the media is milking Charlie Sheen for what he is worth proves people thrive off others failures and try to generate revenue in as many ways as possible.

 Now, as his publicist handling this situation to best meet the needs of your fans and artist you must step in and make a change. Sheen is in no position to work and produce a television series. So as a future publicist, it would be imperative to utilize the publicity by encouraging my artist to  attend rehab and work on having a “comeback story” down the line. The publicity he is receiving is generating a large amount of revenue for networks and personal use but is affecting the people around him and his life overall. He is being made a fool of within the media and unfortunately; he is not receiving any repercussions for his actions. This brings up another issue that we will later discuss in my upcoming blog post.

Now, let’s focus on Mr. Brown. Chris Brown who in the past at age 19 was charged with assault due to his altercation with ex girlfriend Rihanna. Not only has Chris Brown overcome harsh critics the past two years, his publicist handled his image and reputation the best they could. Until lately, he was given a pat on the back for the leakage of his private photos. In order to keep it PG-13 we will call it his special “F.A.M.E.ous Package”. Was this a coincidence this occurs two weeks before his album drops? Not to mention the day his album is released he decides to launch a chair through the window of Good Morning America’s dressing room.  Do better Chris Brown. You have GOT to do better.

Now here is my question to you, do you blame him? I am not agreeing with his behavior but bringing up a difficult time in his life during the peak of comeback without his consent is unfair and unruly in my personal opinion.


 Now in regards to Chris Brown publicist, they are in for a rude awakening in the near future. Their job at this time is to focus on revamping his image and allowing him to make change in a positive light. Brown is in a position where he has hardcore and consistent fans, but is in a position where fans are losing faith in the fact that he won’t do something stupid. No matter how good you can sing or act, your personal life is huge factor in your success. Chris Brown is no longer the baby face artist that we all fell in love with four years ago. He is now an adult who is filled with emotions making natural human mistakes. Unfortunately, he is not in a position to make “common” mistakes anymore. This is when his publicist steps in and asks the following question: Do I think he will continue to rise as an artist? Do I think as his publicist, I need to utilize this time to milk the media for positive use and nothing else? The answer is YES.

Now that the picture has been painted. How about we compare the two and see if they make sense to you. Charlie Sheen is utilizing the bad publicity and gaining a great deal of fans, money and success. Where Chris Brown is receiving bad publicity but not being able to go over this hump in the road. Why? Why is he unable to do so but Sheen can? The following questions have been on my mind all day. Then it clicked. Well duh Krystyn, Charlie Sheen is a household name that has been within the industry for years with an amazing publicist and a great deal of support. Where Chris Brown on the other hand, came into this industry young and was immediately viewed one way after one mistake. His mistake came before all his success and glory. 

So in this particular case, their publicist has to deal with different situations at hand when it all boils down. Although, I don’t agree with the result of the “Winning Interview”, I expected this too happen. Do I agree with the double standard within the media market, not at all. But do I see it changing any time soon? Not at all.

Until next time,

Krystyn N. Price
616 890 8535
KrystynNPR@gmail.com

www.necolebitchie.com
www.TMZ.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

5W PR Agency CEO

5W PR Agency CEO

Striving to be a leader, this is very important to hear.

How to be Successful

PR Techniques